Altior finally scratched from Silviniaco Conti Chase despite trainer Nicky Henderson ‘re-considering’ running stable ace at Kempton
- Most of the leading riders and trainers have deals with bookmakers
- The BHA are concerned about the situation surrounding Altior this week
- Henderson-trained chaser was ruled out of race after three days of uncertainty
The BHA is monitoring the situation surrounding commercial relationships between jockeys and trainers.
Most of the leading riders and trainers have deals with bookmakers but concerns about the damage they potentially inflict on the perception of racing have again been raised by the situation surrounding Altior this week.
The Nicky Henderson-trained chaser was finally officially ruled out of Saturday’s Silviniaco Conti Chase at Kempton on Thursday but only after three days of uncertainty about plans.
The BHA are concerned about the potential damage raised by the situation surrounding Altior
While Henderson was doing nothing other than look after the best interests and welfare of his horse, the fact information was released via Unibet, the firm he is an ambassador for, raised issues of how sensitive information in the sport is handled.
A BHA spokesman said: ‘Guidelines are provided to Trainers and Riders as and when they enter into an arrangement with a Betting Organisation. The BHA monitors the arrangements on an ongoing basis, as well as public perception around these arrangements.’
Racing, which more than any other sport has its integrity questioned because of its historic link to betting, can ill-afford to continue sleep-walking around this situation.
Meanwhile, Altior was officially scratched from the Silviniaco Conti Chase at 12.27 on Thursday. The BHA had sent a vet to the Henderson stable to examine the horse.
In a statement, the trainer conceded he had been ‘re-considering’ this weekend’s race’ despite his Tuesday call that Altior would not run.
Henderson said: ‘As much as I would have liked to run him on Saturday, I feel that under the circumstances it is better not to and therefore he will be taken out of the race and wait for future engagements.’
Elsewhere, Waiting Patiently has been ruled out of his planned run at Ascot next week after chipping his ankle.
Trainer Ruth Jefferson’s stable star finished a fine third in the Tingle Creek at Sandown on his reappearance last month and had been due to go for Grade One glory in the Clarence House Chase on January 18.
However, the nine-year-old was found to have sustained the injury after schooling on Thursday and is now set for a spell on the sidelines, with surgery planned in the coming days.
Jefferson said: ‘We found he had chipped an ankle after schooling this morning.’