Current restrictions on the number of vehicles allowed into one of Stoke-on-Trent’s two tips will not be increased for the ‘foreseeable future’.
Existing rules mean only four vehicles are allowed into Hanford tip at any one time – leading to queues snaking back along Campbell Road.
Opposition Labour councillor Alastair Watson has led the calls for the number of vehicles to be increased after being stuck in a queue for almost two hours when he went to the waste recycling centre last week.
But the request has now been rejected by Stoke-on-Trent City Council.
Want a free daily bulletin – plus breaking news alerts direct to your inbox? Then sign up to our email newsletter service!
All you need to do is type your email address into the ‘sign up to free daily alerts’ box. It’s at the top of this article.
It’s also on any stories on the website – simply click ‘subscribe’ and you can expect your first newsletter at the next release.
Want to know more before you sign up? Click here.
Decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails? No problem – you can just follow the unsubscribe link.
In a letter to council leader Abi Brown, Mr Watson said: “It took just under two hours to get to the end of the queue to commence emptying the car of waste items.
“The wait would have been fine if the reason was that the tip was operating at full safe capacity. However, the wait was not due to the volume of users, it was due to the fact that someone has decided that only four cars are allowed on the site at any one time.
“The amount of unused space in the tip and the number of potential spaces that cars could have used stood out like a sore thumb. The amount of dead space was a real let down.
“The tip can easily fit more cars in safely – there’s no doubt about it. This will also avoid the council creating unnecessary queuing.”
More than 1,000 motorists visited Hanford and Burslem tips over the weekend – and drivers were happy with the arrangements.
Andy Davis, aged 50, of Trentham, said: “I had been here 10 minutes and was virtually straight in. I might be just one of the lucky ones.”
Mohammed Abanan, aged 25, of Tunstall, said: “I welcome the safety measures the council has in place.”
Hanford tip is open Wednesday to Sunday from 8am to 4pm.
Mrs Brown said: “The layout of the Hanford site, where you have a central car park surrounded by skips, means that we have to limit the number of cars to four, in order to ensure the safety of visitors and staff. We are constantly reviewing things but it is likely those rules will remain in place for the foreseeable future.”