Cancer-hit window cleaner, 65, dies after being exposed to asbestos



A 65-year-old who was exposed to asbestos at work died from an industrial disease.

Michael Miles, from Northwood, worked for less than a year mixing asbestos for an insulation company before becoming a window cleaner.

But during his time at Star Insulation Michael would mix asbestos by hand without wearing a mask.

In November 2020, the dad-of-two was diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma after suffering pain in his neck and side. He started palliative radiotherapy, but he deteriorated further and was admitted to the Royal Stoke University Hospital on January 30. He passed away on February 15.

Now a coroner has ruled that Michael, who lived on Cromer Road, died from an industrial disease.

In a statement, son Mathew Miles said: “In 1979 he worked making insulation for building materials mixing by hand asbestos and coating pipes to insulate it.

“Dad explained that he had no equipment such as a mask. They were not aware of the consequences of breathing in asbestos. He worked there for less than a year. The business was called Star Insulation. We researched it and it is not trading anymore.

“He then worked as a window cleaner until he became unwell. He was fit and active working as a window cleaner for many years.

“In 2020 he developed pain in his neck and side and was referred for tests. In November 2020 he was diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma.”

The inquest heard Michael received a one-off industrial disease payment of £25,000 due to his diagnosis.

The cause of death was given as malignant disease due to mesothelioma.

Delivering his conclusion, North Staffordshire senior coroner Andrew Barkley said: “I extend my condolences to the family for their loss.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *