Primary pupils won’t be sitting SATs next term after the tests were scrapped for a second year in a row.
Education Secretary Gavin Williamson revealed the key stage two tests have been cancelled as he was being quizzed in Parliament today.
He told MPs: “We do recognise that this would be an additional burden on schools.”
Primary schools were told back in December that they would be able to adopt a more ‘flexible’ approach to SATs in 2021 as a result of the pandemic.
The timetable for administering the tests in reading and maths was going to be extended by a week until May 26. Grammar tests had already been shelved for this year.
Now, following the latest lockdown, the national tests for Year 6 pupils are off altogether.
Schools are still likely to have to submit internal teacher assessment data to the Department for Education.
The National Education Union (NEU), which has long campaigned for SATs to be scrapped altogether, welcomed the climbdown.
Joint general secretary Mary Bousted said: “With the pressures of SATs lifted, schools will have some space to address the urgent issues of educational recovery.
“Pupils are going to need long-term support for their learning. A curriculum driven by tests was never the way to do this. Now is the time to encourage and resource schools to develop a rich and engaging curriculum.”