Council gives shivering Stoke-on-Trent family-of-eight heater after boiler breaks


A shivering family-of-eight have hit out at the council – after celebrating the end of 2020 with no central heating and hot water.

Amanda Mathers called in Stoke-on-Trent City Council on Sunday, December 27 after smelling gas in her three-bedroom home.

But the boiler issue could not be fully resolved to leave the family without any central heating or hot water until at least the council returned from its Christmas break on January 4.

Instead the council provided one heater for Amanda, her partner, David Pritchard and the children aged two, five, nine, 13, 15 and 16 after the family kicked up a stink.

The 38-year-old, from Bentilee, said: “The council told us they did not return to work until January 4 and had no cover so we had to wait. It was not good enough, especially with children in the house.

Partners Amanda Mathers and David Pritchard, the six children, and the council heater

“I was not happy at all because it was so cold and they expected us to live in a three-bedroom house with that one heater and it was not possible.

“The temperature was freezing in the morning. It affected us because the children have been waking up in the night telling us they are cold. I’ve had to split the one heater between three bedrooms.

“We are wearing blankets and extra layers and having to shut the doors in the living room just so we can have the one heater and the fire on in there. If the door is open you feel the draught straight away.

“It has been very frustrating and ridiculous. I wanted the council to come and sort it out.

“It has been cold at night and the kids have all taken hot water bottles to bed with them. My son woke up one night and told me it was freezing so I had to put that one heater in his room and shut the door so he got a little bit of warmth.

“They could have at least sent more than one heater for us. I’m disgusted that they think one heater is going to warm a three-bed house with six kids.

“It has had a massive impact on us. I can’t dry the clothes or do the dishes – the little things in life you take for granted. We can’t have a warm bath and I was worried about the kids catching colds.”

StokeonTrentLive has contacted the council for a statement regarding the issue.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *