Digger driver dad hit with second roads ban in nine months can still keep his job


Dad-of-three Benjamin Grindey has been banned from the roads for the second time this year – after being caught driving just 20 days into his 35-day ban.

The 30-year-old had been handed the disqualification on February 28 – only for the police to pull him over in London Road, Stoke, on March 20.

The defendant – who has now admitted driving while disqualified and driving without insurance – told officers he thought his ban had only been for 14 days.

Now Grindey, of Heathcote Street, Longton, has been hit with a 12-month driving ban.

But he can keep his job as a digger driver because it does not involve driving on roads.

North Staffordshire Justice Centre heard the defendant was also disqualified from driving in 2016 and 2017.

Angela Trafford, mitigating, said the defendant has a wife and three children and cannot believe the position he has placed himself in. She said he was fully co-operative with the police and added he pleaded guilty.

Miss Trafford said: “He fully accepts he was disqualified. If he had any doubt he should have checked.

“His wife is appalled that he has put himself at risk of losing his liberty. If he goes to prison, potentially she is going to lose her home.”

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Magistrates sentenced Grindey to eight weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months, with a thinking skills programme and a rehabilitation activity requirement for 15 days.

Magistrate Joanne Fox said: “Driving while disqualified is unacceptable. The fact you have three young children and you are the provider, is why you are not going to prison today.”

His 12-month ban will run from November 3 when an interim ban was imposed. He must pay £135 costs and a £122 surcharge.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *