Firefighters descended on a Stoke-on-Trent street after residents reported they could smell burning.
Crews were called to a small house fire in Stanier Street, Burslem, at 10.41pm tonight.
They found food had been left on the hob while the householder fell asleep.
No-one was injured in the incident.
Eye-witnesses also reported seeing a police car in the street.
A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were called to Stanier Street after residents reported they could smell burning.
“We discovered a small kitchen fire after food had been left on the hob.
“We remained at the scene until 11.13pm.
“We would like to remind people to not cook under the influence of alcohol and to never leave food unattended.
“We’d also urge people to check they have working smoke alarms.”