Firefighters have issued a warning for residents to follow safety advice after discarded cigarettes and disposable barbecues caused fires at beauty spots across Cheshire this weekend.
On Saturday crews from Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service attended Macclesfield forest and had to extinguish a blaze that was caused by a disposable barbecue – they used a hose reel jet.
Firefighters in Crewe then attended a garden blaze after embers in a fire pit had spread to nearby conifers starting a fire.
Then on Sunday crews were called to the popular Delamere Forest to extinguish a smoldering campfire which they say could have triggered a large-scale incident at the vistors attraction.
The weekend also saw crews attend a fire in Chester where ash from a barbecue had been placed in a bin before starting a fire.
If you’re on the lookout for local news, we have you covered with our FREE email newsletter – sign up in the box at the top of this story or click here.
Head of Service Delivery at Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, Neil Griffiths said: “Following another weekend of hot and sunny weather, we have seen another increase in the number of fires in gardens and in public green spaces.
“These incidents could have led to serious devastation of Cheshire’s beautiful green spaces, people’s homes and more worryingly, could have caused someone severe injuries or even loss of life.
“Many of these fires could have been avoided if key safety advice was followed. Aside from the physical and emotional cost, these fires could have caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.
“Our message is clear, think before you act. Please follow safety guidance, it is there to protect you and those around you.”
If a fire starts accidentally, do not attempt to put the fire out yourself. Get away, stay away and call 999.