Hazmat team called out after ‘leaking acid’ container found in Stoke-on-Trent street



A hazmat team had to be called out after a ‘leaking acid’ container was found in a Stoke-on-Trent street.

Emergency services were dispatched to Goms Mill Road in Longton shortly after 10.10pm last night after a man made the discovery in a car park on the street.

On arrival police cordoned off the road, while the firefighters and hazmat advisor assessed the situation and located the leaking 25l container.

The man who called in the incident was checked over by paramedics, after accidentally getting the fluid on his hands and shoes, but did not require hospital treatment.

Eventually the liquid was found to a concentrated cleaning solution, but as it had reacted with the road surface, thee fire service notified Stoke-on-Trent City Council and left the incident in their hands.

A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman confirmed two crews from Longton and one from Kidsgrove attended the scene.

He said: “We were called at 10.10pm last night by a man who had found a leaking 25l container hydrochloric acid in Goms Mill Road.

“Unfortunately the had male got some on his hands and shoes.

Top stories on StokeonTrentLive

“We sent a hazmat advisor to the scene, as well as three crews, to assess the situation. Residents were told to stay indoors and close their windows.

“The crews liaised with the city council to send a specialist team to deal with the acid.

“The man was seen to by our colleagues at the ambulance service, but it is not believed he went to hospital.

“The acid was found to be concentrated cleaning solution which did react with the road surface. Our crews left the incident with the council team.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *