Homeowners checked by paramedics as fire rips through Staffordshire roof



Homeowners were checked over by paramedics after a devastating blaze ripped through the roof of their Staffordshire property.

Firefighters rushed to Main Street, in Swynnerton, shortly before 6pm today (April 20) to reports of a fire in the thatched roof of a detached property.

Three crews attended the scene at first – including the aerial platform – but it soon became apparent they would need a fourth crew to help control the inferno.

Almost four hours later they remain on the scene.

A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were called at 5.55pm to reports of a fire in a thatched roof.

“We mobilised three pumps and the aerial platform from Longton. When crews arrived at the scene they requested a fourth appliances.

“We have two crews from Newcastle-under-Lyme, one from Longton, and one from Eccleshall as well as the aerial platform.

“We’re using two main jets but the fire has spread through the roof area.

“We are still on the scene and around 50 per cent of the roof has been destroyed so we’re having to remove that now.

“The occupiers were checked over by paramedics for smoke inhalation.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *