A man has been found guilty of attempted murder after attacking a teenager with a machete outside a Stoke-on-Trent house.
Shaw threatened to chop the victim’s head off and hit him 12 times leaving him with substantial injuries. The top of one of his fingers was also chopped off.
The victim’s left eyeball was fractured, he had a cut to the left side of his head and both hands had a number of cuts on them.
The jury also convicted Shaw, of Furlong Road, Tunstall, of possessing an offensive weapon.
His co-accused, Andrew Hulme, was found not-guilty of attempted murder, wounding with intent and possessing an offensive weapon.
Prosecuting, Talbir Singh, said: “This was such a savage and brutal attack there was an attempt on the life of the victim, only his ability to fight back and run away is the reason why he was not killed.
“Shaw hit him 12 times around the body with that machete. He ended up on the floor and Shaw tried to pick him up telling him repeatedly ‘get up, I’ll chop your head off’.
“The victim, clearly fighting for his life, managed to get up himself and he ran off. He ran off to the next street to seek help. When he ran away from this attack he ran away to an address in Barks Drive.
“He knocked on the first door he could see with a light on, unfortunately for him nobody answered the door so he jumped over the fence in the next house and hid.
“He heard a car coming past that was being driven by Shaw when he was driving away from the scene.
“He then made his way back to Mallorie Road, with his injuries. When he got back to Mallorie Road he collapsed and friends realised what was taking place and an ambulance was called and the police called as well.”
Shaw was arrested the following day and in interview he said he had been at the property to buy drugs when he saw the victim being attacked by two men with baseball bats, but the victim’s injuries were not consistent with this account.
The victim’s blood was also found on a trainer belonging to Shaw’s son, who was present at the time of the attack.
Shaw is now due to be sentenced on April 6 at Stafford Crown Court.
Also due to be sentenced is Charlotte Hanks, 31, of Trentside Road, Norton. She was also present during the attack and pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice at an earlier hearing.