A man has died in a caravan fire which is thought to have been started by a discarded cigarette.
The 67-year-old – who has not been named – died after the caravan on Boothstone Park Road, Stone caught fire just before 11am on Monday, December 28.
Crews from Stone, Eccleshall and Longton attended and used breathing apparatus, hose reel jets and a main jet to extinguish the blaze but unfortunately, nothing could be done to save the man who was pronounced dead at the scene.
A fire investigation took place and the cause was believed to have been accidental after a cigarette wasn’t disposed of correctly.
Director of Prevent and Protect at Staffordshire Fire and Rescue, Howard Watts said: “This is a tragic incident which has seen a man lose his life.
Did you know we offer a free email newsletter service?
Each StokeonTrentLive bulletin delivers the latest breaking news, what’s on events and the hottest talking points straight to your inbox. For more information about how – and why – to subscribe, click here.
Decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails? No problem – you can just follow the unsubscribe link.
“We see incidents like this all too often and we urge people to take the necessary care when smoking at home. Please follow the advice and stay safe.”
They have issued the following advice:
Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished and carefully disposed of.
Never smoke in bed – you could easily doze off and set your bed on fire.
Always use a proper ashtray which is made of material which can’t burn or tip over.
Take extra care when you’re tired, are taking any sort of drugs/medication or have been drinking alcohol. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning.
Keep matches and lighters away from children – consider buying child resistant lighters and match boxes to reduce the risk.