Marko Arnautovic makes ‘urgent appeal’ from quarantine in Dubai



Marko Arnautovic has issued a public address from quarantine to urge anyone in Europe new to the idea to “take the situation seriously”.

The former Stoke City favourite moved from West Ham to Shanghai SIPG last summer – but has not been playing since the coronavirus outbreak in January.

Thaidland’s Buriram United raised concerns about an Asian Champions League qualifying play-off against Shanghai because of the disease and since then football in the country has been in hiatus.

Arnautovic’s club has kept the squad largely in Dubai over the following couple of months – and that is where Arnautovic is back now, and back in quarantine, after a short family holiday in Germany.

He has now sent a message to ZIB 2, an Austrian television show, with a message for countries which are now facing or experiencing lock down for the first time.

“Dear people! I am addressing you today with an urgent appeal,” he said.

“Take the situation seriously, stay at home! Only go out of the house for urgent errands. This way you protect yourself and the others. Especially your grandparents.

“I’ve already had several quarantines and believe me, there are worse things.

“In this sense: stick to the regulations and stay healthy. Your Marko!”

There is hope starting to build in China, where new reported cases of coronavirus have been imported by people entering the country rather than transmitted within, that society including football will be able to return to something approaching normality before too long.

An unnamed player at second division Meizhou Hakka tested positive on Wednesday, although that too was said to have been brought into China and then contained following a training camp in Thailand.

There are reports that the Chinese Super League could be up and running by early May, as long as there is approval from the Chinese Government.

Most clubs have started to head back after extended pre-seasons in Europe or the Middle East.

But the Asian Football Confederation announced on Wednesday that the AFC Cup will be suspended until further notice, a week after some of the matches in the competition were played behind closed doors.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *