Motorists in Staffordshire are being warned to expect delays as a 40 metre (131.2 feet) long oxygen tank is transported through the county over the next five days.
The huge load will enter the county via the A34 near Talke tomorrow – Monday June 15 – on its way to its destination in Warwickshire.
Staffordshire Police, who are escorting the empty tank, are warning motorists that delays and diversions are likely along the route (outlined in full below).
A number of similar loads will be making their way through the area in the coming weeks.
A police spokesman said: “The tank – which is empty, 40 metres long and 6.5 metres in diameter – will be picked up on Monday 15 June and will make its way from the Cheshire border through areas including Newcastle-under-Lyme, Stone, Stafford, Rugeley, Cannock, Brownhills and Shenstone – finishing up in Warwickshire on Friday 19 June.
“This is the first of four similar pick-ups over the next six weeks and we’ll be working with tree cutters and BT telephone engineers to ensure the load fits under trees and cables throughout the journey.”
The full route through Staffordshire as planned:
Day One (Monday June 15):
• At roundabout, turn right onto A34 in Congleton
• Turn left onto A34 at Talke
• Continue on A34 through 4 roundabouts
• At roundabout, turn left onto A52 in Newcastle under Lyme
• At roundabout, turn right onto A527
• At roundabout, turn left onto A34. Day 1 stops at Strongford
Day Two (Tuesday June 16):
• Continue on A34 through 9 roundabouts End of Day 2 at RedHill
Day Three (Wednesday June 17):
• At roundabout, turn left onto A513 Beaconside
• At roundabout, turn right onto A518 Weston Rd
• At roundabout, turn left onto A34 Queensway in Stafford
• At roundabout, turn left onto A34 Lichfield Rd
• At roundabout, continue on A34 Queensville
• At mini roundabout, turn left onto A513 Weeping Cross
• At double roundabout, turn right onto A51 in Woseley Bridge
• At roundabout, turn left onto A51
• At roundabout, turn right onto B5013 Station Rd in Rugeley
• At double mini roundabout in Rugeley, continue on B5013
• At roundabout, continue straight onto A460 Hednesford Rd
• Continue on A460 through 10 roundabouts to Cannock End of Day 3 Great Wyrley
Day Four (Thursday June 18):
• At roundabout, continue straight onto A5 Watling Street
• Continue on A5 through 1 roundabout
• At roundabout, turn right onto A452 Chester Rd at Brownhills
• Continue through 1 roundabout
• At roundabout, turn left A454 Aldridge Rod
• At roundabout, turn left at Four Oaks Station onto A5127 Lichfield Road all the way back up to the A5
• At roundabout, turn right onto A5
• At roundabout, exit onto Roman Rd/Watling Street through Hints Day 4 Stops half way along Watling St
Want a free daily bulletin – plus breaking news alerts direct to your inbox? Then sign up to our email newsletter service by clicking here.
Or you can type your email address into the ‘sign up to free daily alerts’ box. It’s at the top of this article.
It’s also on any stories on the website – simply click ‘subscribe’ and you can expect your first newsletter at the next release.
Want to know more before you sign up? Click here.
Decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails? No problem – you can just follow the unsubscribe link.
Day Five (Friday June 19):
• At roundabout, in Fazeley, turn right onto A4091