North Staffordshire school goes into lockdown



A North Staffordshire school was forced to go into lockdown this afternoon.

Parents were sent text alerts following an incident at The Kidsgrove Secondary School today (March 3).

Police were called to the Gloucester Road site but an investigation revealed the threat was a hoax.

The nature of the hoax has not yet been revealed.

In a text message sent shortly before 2pm, acting headteacher Karen Mitchell said: “We have been informed by the police that the incident reported at TKSS was a hoax. Procedure was followed. All pupils are safe.

“Pupils will finish as normal at 3.05pm.”

Headteacher Karen Mitchell added: “The safety of our students is our utmost priority and I must commend our staff and students for the excellent manner in which the lockdown procedure was followed.

“We appreciate that this incident may have caused anxiety for parents; however, our main priority at the time was ensuring the wellbeing of our students and that the procedure was effectively implemented.”

However, some parents have hit out at a lack of information from the school regarding the incident.

Worried mum Claire Salt, whose daughter is in Year 11, repeatedly tried to call the school after receiving a message to say it was in lockdown.

The 43-year-old, from Kidsgrove, said: “I had a text from my son who goes to Newcastle College to say the school had gone into lockdown.

“One of his mates had received a text from his sister who goes to Kidsgrove Secondary School.

“It’s shocking that you have to hear secondhand that something was going on.

“I tried to ring a few parents I know to see if they had heard anything but didn’t get any joy.

“I immediately got on the phone to the school to try to find out what was happening but the line was down. I ended up leaving them a very heated answer phone message.

“We then got a random text message to say the school had been in lockdown because there had been a hoax.

“But they didn’t tell you any more. Was it a bomb hoax or what?

“The school always goes on about communication but it’s only when it suits them.

“It just ends up with a load of social media rumours. We just want up-to-date and accurate information.

“We should have had a message to say the school was in lockdown but they believe there was no threat in the first place to make us aware.

“When you know something is going on but you don’t know what you start to panic. It’s absolutely disgusting. I’m fuming.”

StokeonTrentLive has contacted Staffordshire Police and the Shaw Education Trust, which sponsors the school, for comments.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *