Pet-lover’s warning after beloved dog suffers horrific injuries in park


The owner of a dog is warning other animal lovers after her pet nearly lost a leg during a walk in a Cheshire park.

Jo-anne Snape’s miniature poodle, Pip, suffered horrific injuries during a walk at Mill Island in Nantwich last Tuesday (November 3)

Jo-anne said she knew something was wrong when Pip, aged eight, entered undergrowth and didn’t come back out.

She said: “I heard an almighty yelp. At first I thought something got hold of her, another dog? Or maybe she has put her paw on a bramble or a thorn?

“I found her there with this huge, gaping wound on her leg and under her tummy.”

After looking in the undergrowth Jo-anne found Pip motionless with a wound which was that deep muscle could be seen.

“I knew I needed to ring the vets immediately from the spot.”

Little Pip after her operation.

Jo-anne, 40, then carried Pip back to their house and drove to Nantwich Veterinary Hospital.

Pip was put under general anaesthetic, stitched up and given antibiotics and pain killers, reports CheshireLive.

Jo-anne said: “We got back home at 8pm. I think Pip was in as much as a state of shock as us.”

The next morning Jo-anne returned to the park and discovered what had caused Pip to have such a deep wound.

“It played on my mind all night,” she said. “I thought is it glass, is it barb wire?

“I walked where she went and I did find glass and it was broken, it looked like a brown bottle and it was jutting up in the air.

“Chances are she ran over it because her belly was close enough to the ground.”

Jo-anne discarded the bottle and is warning others to be extra vigilant.

She believes what happened to Pip was a “genuine accident” but is calling on people to put their litter in the bin.

The injuries to Pip.

“I don’t think anyone has deliberately stood it up to hurt an animal but I think it is just carelessness, which is ridiculous because the park is full of bins but it’s what happens isn’t it, people don’t use them,” she said.

Since the incident Jo-anne has posted on local Facebook groups to warn other dog walkers and has had a huge response.

She said: “So many people have got in touch to ask about Pip which is really nice.

Did you know we offer a free email newsletter service?

Each StokeonTrentLive bulletin delivers the latest breaking news, what’s on events and the hottest talking points straight to your inbox. For more information about how – and why – to subscribe, click here.

Decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails? No problem – you can just follow the unsubscribe link.

“Please be mindful and careful that there may be more litter under the leaves that now lay on he floor.

“Pip should make a full recovery but I am heartbroken for my little dog and would hate it to happen to anyone else.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *