Port Vale’s long-awaited fixtures for 2020/21 will be confirmed next Friday, August 21 at 9am.
The League Two season will begin on the weekend of September 12, behind closed doors, while the Carabao Cup will start in the week commencing September 5 and a Football League Trophy tie will be squeezed in on September 7.
Some Carabao Cup first round matches could yet be moved to alternative dates, however, due to international fixtures.
The cup has had a few significant changes, including making the two-legged semi-finals just one tie. The first round rounds will take place in consecutive weeks through the late summer and early autumn.
The first round draw will take place on Tuesday, August 18 – divided into north and southern halves but unseeded – and will be broadcast live on Sky Sports News.
With the season set to finish on the weekend of May 8 2021, there will be a condensed fixture list for the campaign.
That means 11 mid-week matches for League Two clubs.
The season is set to finish on the weekend of May 8 and the play-off finals will be held at Wembley Stadium three weeks later on the Spring Bank Holiday weekend of May 29.
The Football League Trophy format will remain unchanged and will be known as the EFL Trophy after the sponsorship deal ended with Leasing.com.
The final will be played at Wembley on Sunday, March 14, 2021.
Under-21s teams will be entered by Arsenal, Aston Villa, Brighton and Hove Albion, Chelsea, Fulham, Leeds United, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Norwich City, Southampton, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United and Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The group stage draw for the EFL Trophy will take place on Tuesday, August 18 at 1.30pm on talkSPORT 2.
Broadcasting plans for the EFL, Carabao Cup and EFL Trophy will be confirmed in due course.
Dates for the 2020/21 Carabao Cup:
- Round One – September 2020 (alternative dates may apply)
- Round Two – 15/16 September 2020
- Round Three – 22/23 September 2020
- Round Four – 29/30 September 2020
- Round Five – 22/23 December 2020
- Semi-Finals – 5/6 January 2021 (tie to be played at the venue of club drawn out first)
- Final – 28 February 2021
Dates for 2020/21 EFL Trophy
- Matchday 1 – 8/9 September 2020
- Matchday 2 – 6/7 October 2020
- Matchday 3 – 10/11 November 2020
- Round of 32 – 8/9 December 2020
- Round of 16 – 12/13 January 2021
- Quarter-Finals – 2/3 February 2021
- Semi-Finals – 16/17 February 2021
- Final – 14 March 2021