Public warned not to burn their rubbish after spate of garden fires



Firefighters are warning members of the public not to burn their rubbish following a spate of garden fires.

Crews are continuing to be called out to incidents in which people have been setting fire to household waste in their garden.

The latest incident took place on Sunday night in Cemetery Road, Chadsmoor, near Cannock Chase.

Aside from the risk of the fire spreading, the fire service have warned burning rubbish can cause pollution and harm people’s health, including exacerbating respiratory problems.

Dave Steele, group manager for Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We understand the impact coronavirus is having on people’s daily lives and it is great to see so many people showing their support for the emergency services and staying at home.

“However, it is more important than ever to dispose of waste responsibly. We know that some garden bin collections have been put on hold and recycling centres are closed but we would urge people not to burn their rubbish during this time.

“Smoke aggravates health conditions for some and there is potential for these fires to easily get out of control.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *