Hotel staff discovered the body of a rough sleeper who had been housed at the venue during the coronavirus pandemic.
An inquest has ruled Patrick McCann died from a ‘self-administered overdose’ at The Crown Hotel, in Stone, on May 29.
A housekeeper had raised the alarm after discovering the 38-year-old lying on the floor.
Hotel area manager Shaun Ryan said: “Mr McCann’s body was found in room 17 at the Crown Lodge. His body was discovered by our housekeeper who alerted myself and my deputy manager straight away.
“We called an ambulance straight away and when it arrived on the scene we left him with them.
“He was friends with someone in the hotel who was also classed as homeless and they would go out for walks and smoke cannabis.”
A large bag of prescribed drugs and a box of Maltesers was found in the room.
The inquest heard Patrick had been ‘dead for some time’.
Want a free daily bulletin – plus breaking news alerts direct to your inbox? Then sign up to our email newsletter service by clicking here.
Or you can type your email address into the ‘sign up to free daily alerts’ box. It’s at the top of this article.
Click ‘subscribe’ and you can expect your first newsletter at the next release.
South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh said: “He had recently had accommodation problems and been placed in The Crown Hotel, in Stone.
“About lunchtime on May 29 a housekeeper entered his room and found him dead inside. It was apparent he had been dead for some time.
“An ambulance was called and they confirmed his death. They decided there was no need to call the police because they didn’t think there were any suspicious circumstances.”
A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as poisoning due to a ‘large quantity’ of a painkiller.
Mr Haigh added: “My formal conclusion is one of a self-administered overdose of medication.”