THE Staffordshire County Senior League has taken the decision to suspend all football with immediate effect due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The decision was taken this morning following extensive talks as the virus continues to spread.
Chairman Ross Crawford said the committee had discussed little else since most of Saturday’s programme went ahead, but now all fixtures will be suspended until April 4.
A statement issued by the league to clubs this morning read: “Colleagues in these unprecedented times and to protect the well being of all associated within the league, players, club committees, referees and supporters, the League’s Executive has decided to suspend all league and cup fixtures with immediate effect. This will be reviewed on Friday 3rd April and a further notice will be issued on that day.
“I am sure you will all have questions the answers to which I do not at this stage have, but over the next few weeks we will be deciding what may or may not happen on 4th April and beyond. Currently the league must finish on Saturday 9th May. To get any extension will require the agreement of the Football Association in Wembley.”
According to the NHS and the World Health Organisation (WHO), early symptoms of coronavirus infection usually include:
* A cough and/or sore throat
* A high temperature
* Shortness of breath
These symptoms do not necessarily mean you have the illness and are similar to other illnesses, such as the common cold or flu.
Some people will not develop all of these symptoms – and some might not even show symptoms at all, experts have discovered.
And here’s what you should always do.
* wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
* always wash your hands when you get home or into work
* use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
* cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
* put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
* try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell