Sudden death of Stoke-on-Trent garage worker, 46, left doctors baffled


A ‘fit and well’ garage worker died suddenly after his heart stopped working while he was in bed.

Martin Gregory had spent the day Christmas shopping and gone to bed as normal before being taken ill.

An inquest heard his partner called paramedics after she woke to find the 46-year-old unresponsive.

But he could not be resuscitated and was pronounced dead at the Royal Stoke University Hospital last December.

Mr Gregory, of June Road, Fenpark, had spent December 7 riding his motorbike and the following day went Christmas shopping with his partner, stopping for a meal on the way home.

Want a free daily bulletin – plus breaking news alerts direct to your inbox? Then sign up to our email newsletter service by clicking here.

Or you can type your email address into the ‘sign up to free daily alerts’ box. It’s at the top of this article.

Click ‘subscribe’ and you can expect your first newsletter at the next release.

The couple went to bed at 11.30pm on December 8 and he was ‘his normal self’. His partner woke at around 2.45am to find him ‘making a funny noise’ and she was unable to rouse him.

The ambulance crew started resuscitation attempts which continued at A&E, but Mr Gregory was pronounced dead at 3.45am on December 9.

The inquest heard Mr Gregory’s death had come death as ‘a complete shock’ to his partner.

Doctors were unable to say what had caused his death, so a post-mortem examination was carried out. It showed no abnormalities, and pathologist Dr Mark Stephens concluded that Mr Gregory’s death was due to a cardiac arrest of unknown cause.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Dr Stephens said it could have been due to an inherited cardiac condition and advised Mr Gregory’s family members to seek advice from a medical team dealing with such conditions.

Area coroner Emma Serrano recorded a natural causes verdict.

She said: “Martin Gregory woke up on December 9, 2019, having some kind of event to his heart. His heart stopped beating, he stopped breathing. An ambulance attended and he was taken to hospital. Attempts were made to resuscitate him but he passed away.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *