BEFORE his death, William Adams of Cobridge Hall promised to give £250 towards the building of a new Anglican church at Sneyd Green, close to his own home. Unfortunately for residents this never transpired.
But the appointed Rector of Burslem, who was chosen by William Adams himself, was the man responsible for the development of a new church – that of Christ Church, Cobridge – which was intended as a chapel of ease for St John’s Church.
At the end of its construction, in 1844, the costs had risen to approximately £2,300 of which half of the amount was given by the Rector himself, Edward Whieldon.
The parish in which it lies takes in Cobridge, Sneyd Green and Abbey Hulton.
The building itself is built in yellow brick in a gothic style designed by Lewis Vulliamy.
Over the years, following its construction, the building was added to and it was enlarged in 1846 and a further extension in 1900. These improvements took its capacity to 561 seat.
In 2001 the Church underwent refurbishment to bring it back into its former glory.