Three more deaths with coronavirus have been confirmed at hospitals in North Staffordshire and South Cheshire – according to today’s update from the NHS.
NHS England say two deaths have been confirmed at the University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, which operates Royal Stoke University Hospital and Stafford County Hospital – bringing the total at the hospitals up to 329.
Another death has also been confirmed at Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – which operates Crewe’s Leighton Hospital.
No more deaths were reported at any other hospitals in the area (see the list below).
Six more cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed in Stoke-on-Trent, bringing the total up to 840 in the city.
More cases were also confirmed in Newcastle-under-Lyme, the Staffordshire Moorlands and Cheshire East – although none were confirmed in Stafford Borough (see below for further details).
As always the number of unconfirmed cases will be higher.
Deaths with Covid-19 at local hospital trusts (as provided by NHS England on June 17):
- University Hospitals Of North Midlands NHS Trust (Royal Stoke University Hospital and County Hospital): 329
- North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare NHS Trust (Harplands Hospital): 6
- Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (Haywood Hospital, Moorlands Hospital, Bradwell Hospital, Cheadle Hospital and more): 11
- Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Including Leighton Hospital in Crewe): 202
- East Cheshire NHS Trust (Congleton War Memorial Hospital and Macclesfield District General Hospital): 129
If you’d like the top stories of the days sent free to your inbox, we have you covered with a daily email.
Sign up by clicking here.
Or you can type your email address into the ‘sign up to free daily alerts’ box. It’s at the top of this article.
Confirmed cases of coronavirus by local area (as provided by Public Health England on June 17):
- Stoke-on-Trent: 840 (up from 834 yesterday)
- Newcastle-under-Lyme: 475 (up from 471 yesterday)
- Staffordshire Moorlands: 232 (up from 230 yesterday)
- Stafford Borough: 323 (no change from yesterday)
- Cheshire East: 1,317 (up from 1,309 yesterday)
Deaths with Covid-19 by area of usual residence (as of June 5 according to data released by the Office for National Statistics on Tuesday June 16):
- Stoke-on-Trent: 176
- Newcastle-under-Lyme: 124
- Staffordshire Moorlands: 63
- Stafford Borough: 111
- Cheshire East: 471
The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) said 42,153 people had died in hospitals, care homes and the wider community after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK as of 5pm on Tuesday, up by 184 from 41,969 the day before.
The Government figures do not include all deaths involving Covid-19 across the UK, which is thought to have passed 53,000.
The DHSC also said in the 24-hour period up to 9am on Wednesday, 140,359 tests were carried out or dispatched, with 1,115 positive results.
Overall, a total of 7,121,976 tests have been carried out and 299,251 cases have been confirmed positive.
The figure for the number of people tested has been “temporarily paused to ensure consistent reporting” across all methods of testing.