Topless thug left victim in pool of blood after ‘abhorrent’ street attack



A thug who left his victim lying in a pool of blood in an ‘abhorrent’ topless street attack has now been jailed.

After witnessing two women embroiled in an altercation outside a house, Danny Stockton, from Crewe, confronted a nearby man, also from the town.

The 45-year-old sustained head and facial injuries as a result of the attack, which took place in Maplins Moss Place, Wilmslow shortly before 10pm on July 13 last year, before fleeing into a nearby house.

It was at this point, Stockton, who was topless, began approaching another man from Crewe in an aggressive manner.

The 42-year-old victim walked backwards onto Broughton Road, making it clear to Stockton he did not want a fight.

Regardless, 31-year-old Stockton grabbed him after he tripped and punched the man twice before repeatedly kicking him in the head as he lay on the ground.

The two victims were both taken to hospital where they received treatment for head and facial wounds. The injuries sustained by the younger of the two were extensive.

Stockton was arrested shortly after 10pm and subsequently charged with causing grievous bodily harm and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. He denied both charges.

Now, after a two-week trial, Stockton, of Abbey Place, Crewe, was convicted of the GBH charge and sentenced to 15 years in prison. He was found not guilty of the ABH charge.

Following sentencing, Detective Sergeant Steve Smith, who led the investigation for Crewe Local Policing Unit at Cheshire Police, said: “After the 45-year-old man he’d had an altercation with had fled, Danny Stockton was determined to continue the violence.

“The 42-year-old victim made it crystal clear to him that he did not walk to fight him. He told him so and attempted to walk away from him.

“Yet Stockton pursued him and attacked him when he had tripped over and was vulnerable.

“The level of violence shown by Stockton during this attack was truly abhorrent.

“The victim sustained significant facial and head injuries as a result of the serious and sustained assault, which was witnessed by members of the public.

“But the consequences of this incident could have been far worse, for the victim, the offender and all of their friends and family members.

“Thankfully, the victim is at home recovering from the physical and physiological effects of the assault and Stockton is now behind bars facing the consequences of his actions.

“I would like to thank the witnesses who gave evidence during the trial and I hope the culmination of this case and the substantial prison sentence Stockton has received gives the victim some closure and he can now begin to move forward with his life.

“I also hope this case underlines the fact Cheshire Police will do everything in our power to bring violent offenders to justice and the 15-year custodial sentence imposed by Chester Crown Court deters others from committing similar crimes.”

On top of his custodial sentence, Stockton was ordered to pay a £181 victim surcharge.

He was also handed a restraining order prohibiting him from contacting the victim, either directly or indirectly, for 20 years.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *