Woman, 73, dies after choking on sausage at this Stoke-on-Trent care home



Care staff have told how they battled in vain to save the life of a woman who had choked on a piece of sausage.

They rushed to the aid of Susan Casewell who had been eating her dinner at Goldendale House care home, in Tunstall.

But staff and paramedics were unable to save the 73-year-old and she was pronounced dead on November 22.

An inquest has heard how Susan had not required any assistance during meal times.

In a statement, manager Claire Jackson said: “Susan Casewell was a lady who never required any assistance during meal times and was able to make some decisions for herself. She was a very independent lady.

“She walked out of the dining room to sit in a chair in the corridor and when she was asked if she wanted any pudding, she said ‘no’.

“It then looked like she was having a seizure. 999 was called and CPR was commenced.

“There has been an investigation with numerous care staff interviewed and witness statements taken. It has been found that care staff acted quickly and CPR was commenced without hesitation. All other residents were protected from the incident due to a screen.”

The inquest has heard how Susan did not show any signs of choking when eating her meal.

The statement continued: “It is an unusual case. Paramedics have stated we would not have been able to prevent this incident from happening.”

Susan was pronounced dead at 1.25pm on November 22. The tragedy has been reported to the Care Quality Commission.

A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as an ‘airway obstruction due to food material’.

The Newcastle-born retired seamstress had moved to Goldendale House two years earlier.

In a statement to the inquest, sister Brenda McAree said: “I had no issues with her care and treatment there and she had no issues with eating or drinking.

“On November 22 I received a call from Goldendale informing me of the incident. They told me Susan had choked and passed away after swallowing something which had got stuck. I didn’t ask further as I was too upset.”

North Staffordshire assistant coroner Sarah Murphy has ruled that Susan’s death was accidental.

She said: “The deceased had never required assistance during meal times and having reviewed statements from the care home I do not find any faults in care. They carried out CPR, tried to clear her airway and called 999.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *