A retired transformer fitter who was exposed to asbestos at work died from an industrial disease, a coroner has ruled.
But in later life the 86-year-old developed a cough and shortness of breath and subsequent tests at the Royal Stoke University Hospital discovered stage four mesothelioma.
The grandfather-of-one was cared for at the Blurton-based Douglas Macmillan Hospice before he passed away at his home in Ridge Close, Barlaston, in late November. His funeral was held at St John the Baptist Church, in Barlaston, just two days before Christmas.
In a statement, daughter-in-law Nina Shin said: “The deceased was a retired transformer fitter who was born, raised and schooled in Stoke-on-Trent.
“After leaving school he trained as an apprentice plumber before completing two years national service. He was then a transformer fitter in Stafford for 40 years.
“He only drank socially, but his mobility was poor. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma in January 2018 and was cared for at the Douglas Macmillan.
“In 2018 he made a claim for asbestos exposure and died at his home address with his family on November 28 last year.”
A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as epithelioid malignant mesothelioma.
North Staffordshire assistant coroner Sarah Murphy said: “He worked as a transformer fitter for 40 years.
“He was diagnosed with epithelioid malignant mesothelioma in January 2018 and underwent chemotherapy and blood transfusions before being cared for at the Douglas Macmillan Hospice.
“I’m satisfied that the disease was due to exposure at work and the disease caused the death.”
Ms Murphy concluded that the death was due to an industrial disease.