Watford have distanced themselves from claims that the Premier League is set to void the season imminently.
They have been forced to clarify their position after Udinese director Pierpaolo Marino suggested England’s top flight could be ready to issue a statement about cancelling the season due to the coronavirus pandemic.
It would obviously have huge footballing ramifications down the pyramid.
Before the season was suspended last month, West Brom and Leeds United were moving closer towards a top flight return, occupying the two automatic promotion spots in the Championship.
But the Premier League and EFL have both reaffirmed their commitment to completing the season – despite pushing back the resumption of football from the initial April 30 date.
The Hornets, who sit outside of the Premier League relegation zone on goal difference, are owned by Gino Pozzo, while his father Giampaolo owns Udinese
Marino told Sportitalia: “The Belgian Federation has already sanctioned the end of their league, despite the threats of sanctions from UEFA.
“In England, the Premier League is about to release a similar statement, because the situation there is becoming very, very serious. I frankly just hope we can enjoy football again after the coronavirus.
“It doesn’t matter how long it takes, we need to get out of this danger zone. I am worried for the next seasons, not the old one.”
Watford’s chief executive Scott Duxbury has now confirmed that as far as they are concerned, there is still a commitment to completing the season.
He said: “The discussions Watford and all the clubs have had with the Premier League make it clear the overriding ambition is to finish the season but only when it is completely safe to do so.
“The most important concern at this stage is people’s health and safety and nothing should deflect from that.”
There are nine matches remaining in the Championship.