A lecturer was found dead at his Stoke-on-Trent home.
Alan Mountford was discovered by his partner who alerted a neighbour and CPR was started.
But the 50-year-old could not be revived and he was pronounced dead at the property on Chatsworth Drive, Norton Green, on August 11.
An inquest heard Alan was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and hypertension.
His partner, Jacqueline Heath-Jones, said he would drink two cans of beer and two whiskeys every day.
Want a free daily bulletin – plus breaking news alerts direct to your inbox? Then sign up to our email newsletter service by clicking here.
Or you can type your email address into the ‘sign up to free daily alerts’ box. It’s at the top of this article.
Click ‘subscribe’ and you can expect your first newsletter at the next release.
In a statement she said: “Alan was employed as a lecturer. He suffered with health issues and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 1979. He was on numerous medications.
“He worked in various roles and usually lectured on the motor industry. Alan had periods without work due to having issues with his eyesight linked to the diabetes.
“He fell and broke his ankle in November 2015 and had an operation to pin his ankle. He had his driving licence revoked four years ago because of his poor eyesight.
“He liked to drink strong lager. Due to his health issues he struggled to walk, let alone exercise. He ate a lot of chocolate and sweet food.”
Jacqueline said Alan had drunk one beer and a couple glasses of wine when he told her he was going to bed at around 9pm.
But she then found him ‘slumped’ at the bottom of the stairs. He was pronounced dead at 10.24pm.
A post-mortem examination revealed Alan was suffering with heart disease. A cause of death was given as acute alcohol toxicity, ischemic heart disease and diabetes.
North Staffordshire area coroner Emma Serrano concluded that Alan’s death was due to natural causes, contributed to by alcohol.